The roof on your home can naturally reach the end of its usefulness without experiencing a complete roof failure. However, a delay in replacing an old roof could result in bigger problems down the road.
Watch for these warning signs.
Potential signs that your roof may need to be replaced:
- Edges of the shingles are curled or buckling.
- Roof shingles are cracked.
- Bald spots where shingle granules are missing.
- Your roof is at least 10+ years old: while modern shingles are produced for durability, many factors can accelerate the aging process. If your roof is not properly ventilated, it can heavily affect your shingles.
- Hail damage: Hail storms are very common in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Regardless of the size, the brutal force of hail can wreak havoc on your home.
- Wind / Storm damage: Aside from hail, high pressure winds and rain can cause severe damage, especially if the roof is over 10 years old.
- The roof looks old and worn out.
- Your neighbors are getting new roofs: Homes built around the same time period can experience the same types of weather conditions, which could mean that your roof is in need of repairs/replacement.
- Dark streaks: Airborne algae causes dark streaks on roof decks. While this may not necessarily harm the roof shingles, it doesn’t look good. Algae streaks can be removed, however, you may want help from a professional.
- Moss: Moss can grow on roof surfaces, especially in cool climates with high humidity. Moss growth can be more than an aesthetic issue. Moss holds moisture against the roof surface, which can cause damage to the granules on the top of the shingles in combination with freezing temperatures. While moss can be brushed off, it won’t prevent it from growing again.